Friday, August 21, 2009

It's Always a Good Day When the Amazon Box Arrives

I love it when the mail carrier actually pulls into our driveway, because that usually means something good is coming. Today it was the Amazon shipment with four books I ordered to add to our resources for the Ancient Mesopotamia unit.













I'm really excited about the Ancient Science book. There are some good projects in there for all of the Ancient Cultures we will be studying. The Boy is really excited about Rostam, because it's a comic. He was so excited, he couldn't wait, and already started reading it.




I move further and further away from 'schooly' with each year. The spelling workbooks got tossed because the more they read, the more they learn to spell. The phonics program got tossed when I skipped through all the worksheets and just pulled out the chapter tests one day and no one had a problem with them, even the ones that were scheduled to be done months in the future. I just see no sense in using them when they aren't needed.



I don't like the term 'living books' but I love the concept, and our shelves are overflowing now with this type of material instead of textbooks.



I kept the things they liked. All of them like Queen Homeschool's cursive writing program because of the artwork. I should do a review of that program soon, because even for secular homeschoolers, their cursive writing program is pretty fabulous.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing these. I am writing our own history curriculum this year and on the prowl for ancient history books in the children's section of the library today. I will see if I can find these!

Bleu said...

As I get each section finished, I'll post a list of the resources we're using. Maybe we can share ideas.

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by the blog. I just returned from vacation. I'll need a few days to catch-up on my reading and perusing a new homeschooler's blog!

jugglingpaynes said...

We read the Gilgamesh book! Good choice. I don't know how old your kids are, but there is another Gilgamesh picture book series I highly recommend, written by Ludmilla Zeman.

We also found several good stories based on Egyptian tales. I can look up some of the titles if you are interested.

Thank you for your comments!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Bleu said...

I would love suggestions. I'm always on the lookout for new resources.